Friday, February 26, 2010

Happy Mom



Due to a client's request, I've recently added a new reformer class at 1:30 on Friday afternoons. As a result, a couple of my Wednesday reformer regulars have added an extra class to their week and another client is able to attend after dropping her daughter off at school.
Today I got a call from the mom asking if her young daughter could come to class as she wasn't going to school that afternoon. I've met Yasmin before and she's delightful and lovely, so of course I said yes. I knew the other 2 clients attending wouldn't mind and I didn't want Yasmin's mom to miss out on a class.
Yasmin, of course, was an angel. She entertained herself with some crafts for a while, but then was intrigued by what her mom and the others were doing.
With so much movement and energy in the room, its not unexpected that Yasmin became a bit restless. She enjoyed watching the exercises and tried to copy a few of them on the floor. Yasmin really loved how hard I made her mom work and I had a helper for some of the exercises.
I think its wonderful for kids to see their parents exercising and taking care of themselves - its important for them to learn about healthy choices and its also important for them to see parents doing something thats not about the child. Yasmin might not see that aspect of it, but the separation of child from parent is essential. Plus, it absolutely contributes to the parent's well-being. And for Yasmin there's also the added thrill of doing "adult stuff", when all her friends are at school.
For me, it was a wonderful class. I love teaching and I do love this new Friday group. To have the added bonus of seeing the delightful Yasmin and being able to share the class with her was really great. And as a super-duper bonus, Yasmin drew a picture of her mom on the reformer and gave it to me as a gift. How lucky for me!
It was a perfect ending to what's been a pretty spectacular week at the studio. Not too shabby for February...

No comments:

Post a Comment